Monday, June 30, 2014

Road Trip to Limestone County, TX

We finished up painting the neighbor's house last week. It was good to be done with that, and I don't think I want to paint another house any time soon.

Today the mum-in-law and I went up to Limestone County, Texas where her family is from to do some research. Some of her ancestors were here when Texas was a Republic. We went to the county clerk's office and looked through probate records. We wound up with more questions than we answered.

We went to Big Hill. That's where her ancestors lived, but there's not really anything there any more. She wasn't sure where the houses had been, as she'd been a little kid when she was out there last. 

Then we went to Fort Parker Cemetary and got chased around by a swarm of mosquitoes. We went to Mexia to get some deet and then went back to the cemetry. The deet worked for about twenty minutes, long enough to find all the graves we were looking for, and then the mosquitoes got bold so we got the heck outta there.

The drive was long, but we want to go back again... supposedly, there's a deep dark family secret that caused two previous researchers to stop doing genealogy. I'm not sure which side of the family it was on though, so maybe it's not the side we're researching. All I know, is I don't care about pretenses, and want to know everything.

I know why I like history and genealogy so much. Because it allows the dead to speak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment