Saturday, March 1, 2014

Europe and Donkeys

Why do we idealize Europe? Our ancestors fled from there in the face of oppressive class-ism and religious wars. While the religious wars may be gone, the class-ism sure isn't. Don't get me wrong, I like traveling in Europe. It's fun. But would I want to live there for any long length of time? Not no, but hell no. A year or two maybe, but to live on top of each other like rats in cages for your entire life, like the majority of Europeans do (unless of course you're wealthy and your family has land). Uh, no. Right now I think our neighbors are too close, mainly because I could easily hit their houses with a high powered rifle. (Gun safety rule number 2 of 4: Always keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction.)

I bring this up, because I saw a book at the Half Price book store tonight, extolling the virtues of how we should try to be more like Europe, and how we lack high speed rail, and should therefore use Spain as a model of progress. I checked the date, and saw it was published before Spain went broke and had riots and horrendous unemployment. How's that high speed rail working out for them now? I'm sure it takes them quickly to their non-existent jobs.

Where we live, down the road, are some donkeys. They often have their head sticking out of the fence, munching on grass by the road way. People come flying around that corner, but the donkeys don't seem to mind. They like the greener grass outside the fence. I hope you see what I did there.

I'll keep my derriere in the country,  thank you very much, and the hipsters can keep their 'green' cities, and keep talking about places they've probably never even been to and subjects they obviously know nothing about (see: history and economics).

No comments:

Post a Comment