Sunday, March 30, 2014

Painful things: Dropping jars on toes and paying taxes

This morning while trying to get raw coffee out of the pantry, a jar fell out and landed right on my big toe. I have a huge bruise now, and it hurt like a sonofabitch. The average person may ask, why do you have raw coffee? That's because we roast our own coffee. And if you ever tasted some of our coffee, you'd understand why. The coffee you buy in the store is stale and burnt. We don't have some expensive machine to do it for us either. We roast it in a ceramic coated cast iron pot on the stove. It takes about fifteen minutes to roast enough for a couple of days for four adults. So my toe is sore :(

Today is laundry day too. We have an old wringer washer, and the mum-in-law and husband are doing laundry. I was going to help them, but I dropped the jar on my toe, so I am sitting here instead. I did roast coffee, while sitting on a stool. I don't think my toe is broken, but it's not going to be pleasant the next time I have to put on shoes to go to school on Tuesday. If you ever do laundry in a wringer washer, you'll realize just how crappy these modern appliances are. We have a modern washer, that's not even a couple of years old, that takes an hour to do one load and then doesn't rinse clothing worth a damn. They can do all of our laundry in the wringer washer in an hour, many many loads. It would take two days for that new crap of a washer to do that many. As for the water, I'm sure it's trying to save water or some such nonsense, except for the fact that you have to run five rinse cycles to get the clothes to not have lines of dirt in them from it not putting enough water on them in the first place. It's fucking stupid. The low flow toilets are the same way. In an attempt to save water, I wind up having to flush the thing multiple times because it's not enough water. Some do-gooding idiot attempts to save the environment without thinking things through. That's society in a nutshell right now for you. The quality of our lives have been degraded by a bunch of mid-level bureaucrats.

Speaking of which, I was looking at tiny houses last night. Supposedly those things are supposed to help you save money, except of course, of the ones I looked at the price was quite a bit more than what you can get a normal house built for. $500 a square foot is a bit on the luxury end if you ask me, but again, what do I know? I'm just an artist. I mean, you can get a regular trailer house built for that much. I can't imagine that the materials would be even half that.

I would like to have a little cabin, off the grid, out in the middle of fuck-off nowhere, and be completely off the grid. Not have to go buy food, or pay for electricity or water, but instead have solar panels and a good well, and raise my own food, and not have any debt so I didn't owe anyone anything. Now wouldn't that be nice? Too bad you couldn't tell the IRS to bugger off as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment